Mmm! Wait until you try this delicious, moist Triple Layer Cake!
This is a perfect chocolate cake! Rich and delicious, but not too overly sweet. Mmm good.
I promise it is everything you hope for in a homemade chocolate cake, including being incredible moist, and it even has an amazing buttercream frosting.
Wow your friends and family with this triple layer cake that will taste like it came from a bakery. It’s a must-try for anyone that is a chocolate fanatic (like me!).
If all that isn’t enough, it’s not hard to make. Really, it’s not. I am far from a baker and yet this cake recipe always turns out fantastic with very little effort.
You will need three bowls to make this cake – two large and one medium in size.
Triple Layer Chocolate Cake
- To bring the eggs to room temperature quickly, let them sit in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
- Bake cakes a day prior to serving for easiest frosting. Just cover the baking pans with plastic wrap after they’ve cooled, and frost the next day.
- Frost with my easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
I know you are going to love this Triple Layer Chocloate Cake as much as I do.
Let me know in the comments below if you try this cake, or take a photo of it and tag me on Instagram @coolbeanliving. I’d love to see!
Be the first to know when new recipes are added by receiving email updates:
Chocolate Decadence Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2¼ cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (3) 8” round cake pans, then line bottom with round parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the cocoa powder and boiling water in a medium bowl until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Alternating between the two, slowly add dry ingredients and chocolate mixture to the bowl with the butter and sugar. Mix on low speed to incorporate ingredients.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the three cake pans and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake 22-28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for approximately 10 minutes before transferring the cakes from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely, approximately 20 more minutes. (Cakes should no longer be warm to the touch before frosting).
- To assemble the cake, place the first layer top-side down on a cake plate. Add 1/3 of the frosting to the top of the cake layer and spread it out evenly. Take the second layer and level off the rounded top with a knife or cake leveler. Place the second layer on top of the first layer, top-side down. Add frosting to this layer and spread out evenly. Repeat this with the 3rd layer, and spread the remaining frosting out on the top layer.