This recipe for Italian Style Stuffed Zucchini is a fantastic family meal.
I visited a local farmer’s market on Saturday, and came away with more zucchini than I knew what to do with! It looked so delicious, and I was living in the moment. So, by the time Sunday rolled around, I needed a game plan for all the zucchini I had.
I used to make this recipe fairly regularly. My neighbor had a large vegetable garden and would share his zucchini with us often. I made this particular recipe because I knew my kids would try it, and like it. I was right, they loved it. My neighbor moved away many years ago and my kids are now grown, so I had pushed this recipe to the back of the box.
Now that I had some fantastic looking zucchini sitting on my kitchen counter, I knew I had to make Italian Style Zucchini Boats again.
Italian Style Stuffed Zucchini
It’s a quick, easy and low-carb dish that makes a perfect weeknight meal.
A few variations I have tried over the years include:
- Add onions – finely chop a small onion; saute it with a bit of olive oil for a few minutes before adding your ground beef to the same skillet for browning
- Top with sliced pepperoni after adding the cheese, for a pizza boat
- Use ground turkey or ground chicken instead of lean ground beef
I know you’re going to love these Stuffed Zucchini Boats as much as I do.
Give these zucchini boats a try and let me know what you think in the comments below or take a photo and tag @coolbeanliving on Instagram. I’d love to see!
Be the first to know when new recipes are added by receiving email updates:
Italian Style Stuffed ZucchiniPin Recipe
- ¾ lb lean ground beef
- 3 zucchini
- 1 ½ cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- 3 tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Chop the ends off of the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the seeds and hollow out the zucchini. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet, brown the ground beef until cooked. Add in the sauce, stirring frequently. Just before removing from heat, add in the Pecorino cheese.
- Place zucchini in a casserole dish and salt and pepper them. Spoon ground beef mixture into each zucchini. Top each with mozzarella cheese until well-covered. Sprinkle Italian seasonings evenly over each stuffed zucchini.
- Place in oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.