This quick and easy Basil Pesto Artichoke Pasta dish just might become your new favorite go-to meal.
This blog post contains affiliate links. Learn more here.
After a long, busy day it is nice to know that a warm, fresh dinner can be ready in just 20 minutes. That’s what this Pesto Artichoke Spaghetti is all about. Isn’t it great to know that a delicous homemeade meal can be ready in no time?
I am a huge fan of basil pesto. It is so simple to put together and can be used in a variety of dishes – not just pasta, although that is certainly a favorite for me.
Some of the other ways I like to enjoy basil pesto are:
Baked on top of chicken or fish
As a sandwich spread
As a bruschetta topping
As a pizza sauce
Mixed into rice or risotto
Added to an oil/vinegar salad dressing
Making the pesto is pretty simple. Place fresh basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt and cheese into a blender or food processor (or a combination like the one I have ) and pulse until everything is evenly chopped. Then add the olive oil and pulse again until you reach a thicky sauce consistency.
You can refrigerate the pesto in an airtight container for 5 – 7 days.
Pesto freezes well. For small amounts, place pesto in an ice cube tray in the freezer for a few hours until it solidifies. Then remove the pesto cubes from the tray and store in a freezer bag for up to 3 months and you’ll always have it on hand to add to your favorite dishes. When making larger amounts, you can freeze directly in glass mason jars.
Pesto and Artichoke Spaghetti
This is such a terrific meal because it quick, easy and delicious. To make it you will need to prepare your spaghetti according to the directions on the package. When my kids were young, I used to check to see if the spaghetti was done by throwing a strand at the wall – if it sticks, it’s done! The kids would always get such a kick out of that.
While the spaghetti is cooking, heat your olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Toss in the artichokes and saute until they start to turn golden. Sprinkle artichokes with the Italian seasoning – a seasoning mix or just use your favorite flavoring (oregano, parsley, etc.), and then add the pesto.
Now lower the heat to medium-low and stir frequently. Give it another quick stir as you toss in the cheese, and then remove from heat.
Drain your cooked pasta and add to the skillet. Completely coat the spaghetti with the pesto and artichoke mix. Garnish with a little more cheese and enjoy.
- This recipe can easily be doubled if more than 4 servings are desired.
- This meal works great with any type of pasta, not just spaghetti. Use whole wheat, brown rice, or veggie pastas, if you’d like.
- Store bought pesto can be used in place of homemade pesto.
- If you like it a bit saucier, add more olive oil as you saute the artichokes, before adding in the pesto, then mix all well.
- Add fresh or frozen peas when you saute the artichokes for a wonderful addition.
I know you will enjoy this Pesto Artichoke Spaghetti as much as I do!
When you make it, snap a photo and tag @coolbeanliving on Instagram – I’d love to see!
Be the first to know when new recipes added by joining the Cool Bean Living email list.
Pesto Artichoke SpaghettiPin Recipe
- 2 cups basil fresh
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese
Pesto Artichoke Spaghetti
- 14 oz artichoke hearts quartered
- 12 oz spaghetti uncooked
- 1 cup pesto
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- salt to taste
Basil Pesto Instructions
- Place basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt and cheese in a food processor or blender; pulse until chopped.
- Pour in olive oil and pulse again until it becomes a thick sauce consistency.
Pesto Artichoke Spaghetti
- Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil and cook spaghetti according to package.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add artichokes and sauté until lightly browned. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and add pesto.
- Lower heat to medium-low and stir frequently. Stir in Romano cheese. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked spaghetti to skillet and toss until completely covered with pesto artichoke mixture. Serve with lightly sprinkled Romano cheese over top, if desired.