It’s 2020! Did this new decade creep up on you? I guess I didn’t realize the significance of what a new decade holds until it was upon us. I wish I had better prepared for it with my goal setting, but there is no time like the present!
If you haven’t worked out a million resolutions or life goals for the upcoming year (or even new decade), don’t worry, there is still time.
I am going to share with you:
1) The 20 Most Common Goals for a New Year
2) Tips to Help You Achieve Your Goals
3) A Printable Checklist for 20 Goals in 2020
20 Most Common Goals for 2020
- Lose weight
- Improve finances
- Exercise more
- Get a new job
- Eat healthier
- Manage stress better
- Improve a relationship
- Get organized
- Learn a new skill/hobby
- Quit smoking
- Travel more
- Read more
- Spend more time with family/friends
- Stop procrastinating
- Spend less time on social media
- Watch less TV
- Do something for charity
- Be less negative
- Be more adventurous
- Get more sleep
Tips for Achieving Your Goals in 2020
- Don’t pick 20 items if you have have no intention of following through. Stick with 12, 8, 5 or just 3…whatever you are going to be comfortable with keeping on track with. Don’t overwhelm yourself and you’ll have greater success.
- Be specific! If your goal is to lose weight, give yourself a specific amount of weight to lose. For example, instead of using “my goal is to lose weight,” use “my goal is to lose 20 pounds this year.”
- Don’t try to accomplish each and every goal within the first few weeks of the year. Spreading them out over time will help you stay on task.
- Write down all your goals. If you write them down and look at them often it will keep you motivated. To assist you with this, see the free printable goal checklist available below.
- Break down your goals. Going back again to the weight loss example, it is much more achievable if you break it into smaller increments. Losing a total of 20 pounds in the year works out to less than 2 pounds a month. Focus on that 2 pound smaller goal. Doesn’t that seem much easier to manage?
- It’s okay to falter. A year is a long time and there are bound to be little setbacks over time. Don’t beat yourself up over them. Instead, take a deep breath and get yourself back on track.
Printable Checklist for 20 Goals in 2020
Use this complimentary printable to list your 2020 goals. It is available in both color and black & white, and can be downloaded by clicking here.